Severe weather communication from your nursery
Winter is the time of year that gets everyone excited; there is always lots to celebrate, and snow makes the season extra special for the children.
Although we’re looking forward to lots of fun, should there be an excessive amount of snow or bad weather, we do have a procedure in place to ensure the safety and well-being of children and staff, and to keep disruption to a minimum for you too.
Sometimes, this does mean we have to limit the number of children the nursery can accept, or occasionally even close the nursery. This is because our staff to child ratios must always be in line with the regulatory body guidelines.
Over the winter months, we have a communication system in place to ensure that, if the weather does cause any problems, all parents are aware of the situation at nursery before they set out.
What do these mean?
- Closed: The nursery is closed and will not be opening at any time on this day. Please check the website the next morning for the latest update.
- Limited Availability: If some staff cannot get to the nursery at all, we will try to bring in staff from an Approved Agency. If we are still short staffed, we will operate a limited availability system, where we will accept children on a first come, first served basis. Once we have reached our staff to child ratios, we will be unable to accept any more children into the nursery. Parents should contact the nursery on the day for specific details.
- Ltd Avail/Late: If staff are struggling to get in, the nursery may have to open later in the morning in order for us to maintain our staff to child ratios. Parents should contact the nursery on the day for specific details.
- Ltd Avail/Early: If the nursery manager deems that severe weather will affect the safety staff on their way home from the nursery, the nursery may have to close earlier in the afternoon in order for us to maintain our staff to child ratios. Parents should contact the nursery on the day for specific details.
- Early Closure: If bad weather comes during the day and appears to put at risk the prospect of children and staff getting home safely, we will close the nursery early and notify all affected parents by text.
- Late Opening: If severe weather occurs overnight and appears to put at risk the prospect of children and staff getting to the nursery safely, we will make safe the and open the nursery later.
- Open: After we have notified you of any of the above, we will follow up with a text to let you know that the nursery is now open as normal.
We appreciate that any disruption to the normal opening hours of the nursery is inconvenient, and action will be taken only when absolutely necessary. We very much appreciate your support and understanding in helping us to maintain the safety and well-being of all children and staff in the nursery.